Friday, January 14, 2011

Darkness Cannot Drive Out Darkness...

Hi friends, no Flashback Friday today. I've got something on my mind that's a little more important than baby pictures or college memories... although it's something that has been brewing since college.

Every time the news mentions any combination of these 5 words, my blood starts to boil & my heart sinks:
  • Fred
  • Phelps
  • Westboro
  • Baptist
  • Church
I think you all know who I'm talking about... If you don't, go ahead & google them. I won't post photos here or replay all the hate they spew, not in this space. Just make sure there are no children around when you google, they shouldn't have to see those kinds of words.

I can't actually put into words all the horrible ways I feel & hurt whenever I think of this group or hear news of them, but I'm sure you have an idea yourself. It's sickening, it's angering, & it feels so hopeless because what can you do? I've seen so much news coverage where people TOTALLY loose their cool trying to talk to these people & the outrage just turns them into monsters themselves. Again, what can you do? Well, sometimes we give ourselves the best advice... a few days ago I uploaded an image to my school's website for MLK Day with a quote saying:
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that"


Well it turns out there ARE a couple things you can do. Nothing that will make hate-filled people stop, but there are ways to care for eachother in the midst of it. And I think I've found a way how people already are responding in love, and a way that we can start to respond in love.

Angel Action
I first saw this on the news back in college, & it's genius. In response to Westboro protests, particularly when they protest at a funeral, people have banned together dressed as angels with 10 foot high wings to create a barricade. That way people can mourn in peace, seeing only rows of angels rather than horrific signs. It amazes me, it inspires me, & I hope someday I get to be a part of something like that. Of course, hope MORE that these people change, but that's a longshot so I'll be prepared to join in the angel ranks.


Counter Donations
You know how some people get sponsors to raise money, like for every mile you run I'll give $1 toward the charity you're supporting? There's a website that had a great idea. They're called GodLovesAll.org, but I really don't think this is only a God issues... it's a human issue. They offer to send you an email that tells you the total number of hours Westboro has picketed that month, then you can make a donation to charity of your chosen amount for every hour. The more they protest, the more love you give out. In a way it makes them work against themselves & THAT is a good feeling! The website doesn't take donations, you do that on your own, it only gives you the totaled hours.

I'll be adding this to my "I'm a Joiner" page so you can reference it again in the future. Knowing that there are ways to add light to the world in the midst of so much thick, suffocating darkness help me a little. I hope it helps you too & restores some of your hope.

3 comments:

  1. Might I say, this is why I love ya, kid! I don't think it could have been said better. The only thing I can add is something His Holiness The Dalai Lama posted on Twitter recently (yes, I follow Darth Vader AND The Dalai Lama):

    "We cannot overcome anger and hatred simply by suppressing them. We need to actively cultivate the antidotes: patience and tolerance."

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope the phelps come to our area in some weird way, so we can be angels together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again you show me why I love ya girlie. Thanks for bringing some hope to the world. I'd join you any day to stand beside you dress as an angel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a little message! They brighten up my inbox everyday.